This lj link situation kept making me think I've got something wrong with my computer, but I finally realized it's just lj. Links were loading slowly and going through outboundlink.me. When I tried to open up stuff in new tabs, sometimes it just wouldn't go through. I tried blocking outboundlink.me with ABP, but then links were going through outboundlink.com, so I blocked that, but that just stopped all links from working. Ugh. LJ, what happened? You used to be so cool before you got mixed up with the Russian mafia!
Anyway, if anybody else is having issues with lj's link policy, here's a partial solution I yoinked from chasecorbeau
. Does anybody know if there's anything else we should be doing about it? LJ links issue you should read about But it's still modifying all unaffiliated links to certain websites to add the LJ affiliate number.
The way it does this is an enormous security risk. What the script does is wait until you mouse over a link. Then, it activates and sends information about that URL to a company called outboundlink.me. This outboundlink site parses the URL the script sent it, compares it to a list of sites that LJ is affiliated with, and decides whether or not the URL needs to be modified. If it does need to be modified, then the site adds/adjusts it accordingly and sends the user on to the newly readjusted URL. If it doesn't need to be modified, then it simply bounces the user without doing anything else.
The problem is that this process involves sending information about these URLs to an outside company as soon as you mouse over the link. Every link you mouse over gets sent. Which means that an enterprising script kiddie with some time on his or her hands could pretty easily intercept the 'GET' requests that the script sends to the outside site, and would know what people linked in f-locked or private entries. Depending on the entry and the URL, the link could have other account information associated with it, which makes scripts like these perfect backdoors if you really want to screw with someone and you know a little code.
The good news is, there's a partial solution. To get the script to stop showing up on LJ pages when you view them, go to the LJ Admin Console (bet you didn't even know that existed!) and copy/paste this line into the box:
set opt_exclude_stats 1
Then hit 'execute'. This takes advantage of a loophole in an opt-out LJ included for a previous ad-tracking script, and also opts you out of the script I've been talking about above. It won't be active for you anymore, when you're looking at your own or someone else's journal, but it will be active for other people looking at your journal who haven't set the opt-out for themselves.